View Single Post
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2011-01-05, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Of the four things listed
So you're writing off BeLight Swift Publisher just like that, are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I do believe Apple's Pages is the way to go. It produces nice results, easily creates PDFs and gives you all the tools needed to do the things you talk about. Others here may expand on that (I fully admit to having no experience creating more than a 4-8 page document with Pages). But in every other way - text flow, column control, image/graphic placement and text runarounds, etc., I was more than pleased.
It sounds great!

Before posting I looked at the Pages overview video ("Watch Pages Overview") here. At 2:41 the video shows a method for adding photos to a document. I use Aperture rather than iPhoto, but I suppose I'll be able to drag and drop images to Pages one way or another, even if only from the Desktop.

But when a photo is added like this, does Pages store the full-resolution image for high-quality printing or resizing to a larger size later? I mean: if you change your mind and increase the size of the image in the document substantially, does it become pixelated? Or does Pages "remember" the original image, at full resolution, and render it accordingly at its new larger size?

And do you happen to know what kind of graphics quality is preserved in a PDF exported from Pages? Are fonts included in the PDF file, so the document works on anyone's computer? Is that even needed? I know next to nothing about this stuff…

Le 6 janvier is here already, but I see no sign of the Mac App Store going live just yet. I'll take this perfect timing as a good omen, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Pages. It should do what you want and do it with minimal fuss and expense. If it's lacking, at least you're not out the hundreds for something like InDesign.
Makes sense. But being out 79 euros would also be enough to annoy me, if Pages isn't up to the task. Thankfully it looks like it might cost as little as $20 soon, which means there's no reason at all to not try Pages first.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to this!