View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-18, 13:06

I read your post three times and I still can't figure out what the hell you're saying. I usually only do that with drew.

I kid because I love.

In all seriousness, this kinda goes with what I've been squawking about for a while now...that $1,299 13" MacBook Pro has never really been one, not compared to the $1,799+ 13" (and 16") models. I said, ages ago, that the MacBook Air is the default "notebook for the rest of us", and I can see it simply becoming "MacBook" (Air means next-to-nothing now), and covering the ground between the $999 and ~$1,499 space.

The MacBook (Air) should've always been allowed to move upward, vs. crippling or offering a "less than" 13" MacBook Pro which never seems to hang with its more expensive cousin of the same size (processor, speed, graphics, ports) anyway.

They only need two MacBook lines...MacBook and MacBook Pro. The former can be thin, wedge-shaped, fanless(?), 13", come in colors, sport the lower-tier M-whatever processor at the time and suit the needs for most everyone out there, with various RAM, SSD and processor(?) options. Those who need the power/performance/ports can, as always, lay out $1,700 or more for the true "pro" model, with no compromises or confusing positioning/prices. It'll have the beefier M-whatever chips, larger screens, better graphics, more ports (if those HDMI/USB/SD slot rumors are legit), and legitimately live up to its name (and pricing).

If you're a "pro", and you're needing "pro" performance, then you buy a MacBook Pro, for the price the current Intel-based ones are starting at ($1,799, give or take). Everyone else? You're a MacBook customer. Configure a colorful (or silver), wedge-shaped laptop accordingly in that $1,000-1,500 space, and get on with your life. If your ego/opinions of your peers demands that you have "pro" in the name of your notebook, then mow a few yards or put in some overtime and spring for a (true) MacBook Pro, not just something in name only.

For the first time in years they could straighten out the confusing mess than is the notebook lineup, with all its overlap, crippled models, names that don't mean anything (everything in their lineup is "Air" - light and thin - at this point, and there isn't much "pro" about that $1,299 13" compared to the $1,799+ models), etc.

I hope they do.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-05-18 at 13:55.