Thread: iPhone 13
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-15, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Also, isn’t it interesting how quiet and “normal” everything is, less than 24 hours later? Just kinda shows that, big picture, this stuff is commonplace/expected and no longer the big news/cultural rallying point it once was.

In many ways the iPhone “peaked” (not meant in a negative way at all) some years ago. An overall look/design had been settled on (only deviating a year ago with the the teturn(!) to the more squared-off iPhone 4/5 styling).

Recent releases have focused on the camera updates and things centered around it, but let’s be honest…the iPhone is plenty fast/powerful, any model, and it already does/replaces 55 other items or devices in one’s life. All the “low hanging fruit”, as they say, was snatched years ago. The NFC stuff, the GPS/location-awareness, the privacy and security aspects, the App Store, the display and battery improvements, etc.

[..]

The iPhone is now a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. Solid, respectable and popular everyday/everybody-has-one devices that very few are losing their shit over on a yearly basis anymore.
Yep. Starting around the iPhone 7 and iOS 10, it has matured. There will be upgrades as technology marches on — say, to 6G, at some point in the next ten years.

But we're no longer in the Mac System 1-7 days (or iOS 1-9 days) where every new release brought major changes. macOS 1 did not have drag & drop, scripting, multitasking, networking (can you imagine?), or video playback. iOS 1 did not have copy & paste, third-party apps, multitasking, push notifications, or video recording. The Macintosh 128K did not have arrow keys; the iPhone did not have 3G (much less LTE or 5G), nor was its camera practical for video capture (in fact, it was generally horrible).

So frankly, I went into the event expecting to be a little bored. I did not even watch last year's iPhone 12 event, perhaps in part because people remarked that it felt a bit like an advertisement for 5G with Verizon®.

Setting my expectations like that, I did see a few things that delighted me (I wonder how cinematic mode will feel in practice, for example) and a few things that bummed me, but mostly felt satisfied that, yeah, Apple is iterating just fine, despite a year where it's tricky to source any components whatsoever.