View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-04, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
They are waiting too long.
Says who? It's not like the iPhone is tanking and people are staying away in droves due to some "shitty, unusable 3.5" dislay"...

Apple being Apple, is there any possibility that, throughout 2005-2006 (or whenever they truly started getting this phone project underway) they conducted boatloads of research, testing, built mocks and prototypes, etc. and determined - in terms of reach, comfort, access, fatigue, etc. - that perhaps this screen, at this size/ratio, was a really nice, ideal sort of way to go for this new approach they'd come up with (Multi-Touch)?

If everyone else is just automatically thinking "bigger is better", and slapping 4"+ displays onto their stuff because they know that enough customers look only at such specs/features when buying, that's not Apple's problem (or shortcoming), IMO. I certainly trust Apple to consider usability and comfort over Google and Microsoft and the others. They've got a nice history of "minding the details" and putting crazy thought into stuff many other companies gloss over (or ignore completely).

I'm thinking that's exactly at play here, after four-plus years...

Because if that's the case, that would both a) explain why it has remained the same for five revisions now (despite all the "iPhone killers" out there having displays as big as a Pop Tart), and b) make it clear that Apple's probably never going to deviate from that, at least not anytime soon; so if a 4"+ screen is the end-all/be-all to particular users, they might either need to start looking elsewhere or come around to Apple's thinking.

Seems they would've done it by now, which makes me think that they've got a really good, solid reason for the 3.5" and have no problem sticking with it after five revisions?

I don't see the increase of half-an-inch, if everything is just going to "scale up" and get a bit larger, much to get excited about. If they're going to go big with a larger screen, it would be nice if it was large enough to truly matter...accommodate an extra row and column of app icons, allow developers to access new, unused space in their tweaked apps, etc.

But here's the thing: if my thinking above is true at all (that Apple arrived at their 3.5" size/ration after careful research and testing), then that puts stuff in a tough spot...

- If only going a bit bigger, with scaling up and no real real-estate/usability enhancement, what's the point?
- If they go too big (join the Pop Tart gang), it may go against everything they've discovered and consider valuable?

Get used to the 3.5" (or start looking elsewhere if that's truly an important factor), gang...I think it's going to be around longer than some of you will be able to stomach.