View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-11, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
So I guess they forgot about that show featuring them from the 1980s.
I don't even remember that show. Which one was this?

Disney+, in its current form (with just one original show) is a bit of tough sell, for sure (most of us fans own the movies and can watch them any time we want and don't need to be paying for the service). But once a few of these other shows (Ahsoka and Rangers of the New Republic and/or Obi-Wan Kenobi) all start to land, and then, in the course of a year, you've got one SW series ending and then another one starting up within a few weeks, that $7.99/month might be a stronger draw, for sure.

I think that's what they're shooting for. Because I, personally, don't watch/rewatch movies enough to pay monthly for access to them. Typically, once I see a movie, I'm done. Unless it's something in the Star Wars/Batman/Scorsese type of areas, which I'll either opt to own outright, or watch when they pop up on TV if I'm in the mood (even with the commercials, editing, etc.). I'd never subscribe to Disney+ to watch those Marvel movies over and over (once is about enough, thanks), I've seen all the animation/Pixar things already, I already own the OT, etc. So it's original, exclusive fare like The Mandalorian and these upcoming shows that are the draw, and the key to the service growing. If they're at 87M subscribers now, after just two seasons of one Star Wars-related show, they'll blow way past that 100M mark (and beyond) once these other shows start to air (especially if they're getting good word-of-mouth and look to be another Mandalorian-level hit and level of fun).

100M subscribers paying $7.99/month shakes out to an unholy revenue stream that funds anything they'd ever want to do.

Am I plugging in those numbers correctly? They're currently at 87M subscribers, right? Getting to 100M in the coming year or so isn't far-fetched at all. So 100M x $7.99 shakes out to just under $800M...a month. That's kinda getting into some real money, right?

125M subscribers - totally possible in the next several years - each laying out $7.99 a month brings in just under $1B ($998,750,000) a month. Good grief...no wonder these streaming outfits are making such a play for subscribers.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-11 at 12:07.