View Single Post
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2008-10-21, 15:04

I mean my mom. It may seem odd that she's involved, since they were divorced, but the family is still very close. Only my father was not around. Aside from him, I have a typical family, with both sets of grandparents, and a mother who is fine with both sides.

My grandparents seemed to have their reservations (either because of the tone, or because they didn't understand it), but they're the agreeable sort. They would have been okay with whatever I selected.

That trait (agreeability) likely contributed to my father's problems. My grandfather is actually not my grandfather by blood... My father never really liked him, even though he adopted him at age 7. They spoiled him as a child, to make up for his real father not being around.

Anyway, I found this one:

Quote:
Gather ye rose-buds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying:
And this same flower that smiles to-day,
To-morrow will be dying.

The glorious Lamp of Heaven, the Sun,
The higher he's a-getting
The sooner will his race be run,
And nearer he's to setting.

That age is best which is the first,
When youth and blood are warmer:
But being spent, the worse, and worst
Times, still succeed the former.

Then, be not coy, but use your time;
And while ye may, go marry:
For having lost but once your prime,
You may for ever tarry.
I don't like it as well as "Death by Water," but it's my second favorite so far. It has a note of "Carpe Diem" combined with warnings about death, which is what I'm looking for.

We couldn't include the title ("To The Virgins, to Make Much of Time"); specifically, it's generally interpreted as a commentary on the transient nature of youthful beauty. Add to that, it doesn't really capture his life as well as I'd hope.