View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-11-17, 09:45

Well, I can buy this WAY easier than I can Intel PowerBooks or iMacs in January. No way the iMac is going to get THREE updates in eight months.

And, for the very reasons stated in the ThinkSecret article, an iBook before a PowerBook makes sense. Not to say an Intel PowerBook couldn't come out a few months later. But the PowerBook was just updated.

Although, as someone above says, how tricked-out and packing can the iBook get as long as the PowerBook is at its G4-based "ceiling"?

Hard to imagine Apple selling a 2.0GHz iBook for $1099 or so, with PowerBooks nowhere near that and going for twice as much.

I hope this doesn't point to the idea of Apple intentionally crippling any spiffy new Yonah-based iBook, just so it doesn't "out-do" their PowerBooks...I think we've all had about enough of Apple doing that.

But since their Intel machines obviously aren't going to come out in one simultaneous bang, I wonder about that.

Apple is probably thinking less "pro vs. consumer", and more "G5 vs. G4"...the G5 stuff can probably hold its own against Yonah, and so maybe the towers and the iMac will be among the last products to go Intel, with the iBook, Mac mini and PowerBook going first, in whatever order makes sense.

Perception-wise, the PowerBook SHOULD go first, and get the fastest, dual-core thing they can pack in there. Make it a true no-compromise butt-kicker. Then that would give the iBook room to step up quite a bit too, and perform more like today's PowerBook.

As long as the PowerBook is sitting at a 1.67GHz G4, I don't see the iBook getting a 1.8-2.0GHz dual-core Yonah. Something might happen to both. Maybe MWSF will be a big laptop fest?

Then again, it might just be about iLife 06, new shuffles (in black, of course) and five new dancing silhouette commercials...I can see that, just as easily.