View Single Post
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-10-02, 22:56

This is part purchasing advice, part tech support, so I put it here. If a mod wants to move it, have fun.

Right now I have Airport Extreme, but it barely reaches the next room over. I get a better signal from my neighbor across the street. So, I've been thinking about wiring a few rooms of this house with ethernet cable.

My plan is to run a cable from my room(the one with the DSL modem and APE station) to the next room, which has an eMac that has problems connecting. In my room, the phone guy poked a hole in the floor to run a phone line up, and I'm thinking I can do the same with ethernet. I'm over the garage, so I can run the cable over the garage ceiling and poke it into my closet and then through the wall into the other room.

Then I'd like to run ethernet(time, money, and house construction permiting) to my home theater set up in the living room on the bottom floor, near the back of the house. This is a challenge because instead of simply using the garage, I'd have to find another way. I think I might be able to use the crawl space in the attic to go over the ceilings and then drop it down.

I would then put the APE in the living room for my Powerbook(the only other room I use it in) and use an ethernet cable when its at my desk.

So, any equipment that's good, or some helpful websites are greatly appreciated.