View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-01-14, 17:24

So here's the finished lighting portion of my attic project. The pictures aren't as good as they could be but are good enough to show the progress. I used 60W bulbs because of the cost and limited use. I liked the idea of CFL or LED, but not for the limited usage they'd have in my attic.

This is my temporary power connection until I can get an electrician to tie into the breaker panel. It is just an extension cord plugged into my garage receptacle.

This is the switch located at the frame of my attic ladder. Very easy to get to as your climbing into the attic.

Junction box for the switch and main power to be split off for my receptacle run. The outlet pictured here is continuously powered. It's the start I did so I wouldn't have to mess with the junction box again. At this point I'm likely going to move the box or replace it with a larger 2-gang box so it can house the GFCI receptacle as well at the circuit on-off switch. My plan is to leave the lights powered to the switch continuous with only the breaker in the main panel the only way to isolate it. It's rare I see this circuit needing to be modified so I'm pretty confident this will give what I need. Plus, who needs to de-energize a lighting circuit ot work on it?

Looking down my attic with the lights off and then with them on. Hard to tell how bright it seems in there with the pictures, but there's fairly adequate lighting for most work with these 60W bulbs. I might put 100W ones near the air-handler though.

Instead of putting holes in the trusses to run the wires I tacked them down on the outer edge of the studs. While it doesn't seem as permanent, it also seems less damaging to the trusses.

If you look at the earlier pictures looking down the attic where the air-handler is these are to the right of the air-handler. The original structure is an "L" ranch and these are of the back stretch of the "L". Both shots have the lights on but the second one is without the flash.

So here we have my wonderful homemade DTV antenna. It's one of the few perks brought to AN by a now banned member. This little baby works well enough for my use though I'll likely move it to the back corner of the stretch at the end of the "L" since that'll put it closest to the signal source with minimal structure interference.

Since I don't have a patch panel yet I have just terminated the few ethernet cables with wall plate jacks. Not pretty, but functional.

So now on to getting the receptacles in place. I'm planning to get them in today or tomorrow. I might not complete the wiring of them, but at least get the boxes in place. My plan is to install them on the other side of the trusses from the lights. This is the back side of the attic and where the powered attic vents are going to be going. I currently have the turbine style but can't wait to get away from though.

Well, what do you think?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.