View Single Post
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2014-11-30, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I've been meaning to make a post about the weird things I've noticed since moving to the Midwest, as a "coastal liberal elitist" person.

One of the things I've noticed the most is that people seem, in general, to be less used to dealing with lines in an efficient way. I've probably tweeted about this more than once, but it happens to me every time I get fast food: I get in line behind someone at the soda (sorry, pop) fountain, and they examine all the available options, and then pour a little bit of one, and then sample it, and then they dump it and try a different one
I have empircal evidence this is not limited to the midwest in any meaningful way. It's called people everywhere being inconsiderate d-bags and it happens a lot all across teh country. But yes, highly annoying.

Quote:
Another thing that I've noticed is that, if you are a white guy like I am, people just assume that you're both Christian and Conservative. Random people, like customers in your check-out lane, will just start talking to you about about politics, and they'll say some fairly extreme things fully expecting you to agree with them and not even considering the possibility that you wouldn't.
Are you sure you're in the midwest and not maybe... southern Missouri or something like that? Have you been abducted from MinneSOHTA, yah know?

I have never seen this anywhere in Illinois (although the southern reaches of Illinois are much more "southern" in culture than midwestern). Nor have I seen it southern Wisconsin (very rural, white, and Christian), eastern Iowa, Michigan or Minnesota (mostly was in the Ely area and boundary waters, which are plenty white, rural and conservative... maybe because there's more outsiders in those areas the local fast food joints don't play up their favorites as much?) The only place I wouldn't doubt what you're describing is most of Indiana (south of South Bend and West Lafayette essentially), maybe parts of Ohio.

Quote:
In a similar vein, it's common to walk into a Taco Bell or Burger King and then notice that they're playing Christian praise & worship music (Sirius XM The Message is a particular favorite).
I repeat, are you sure you're still in the midwest? What is the nearest major interstate sign where you are? Can you turn on your cell phone so we can triangulate your position and make sure you have not been abducted by aliens and moved overnight?

...into the light of a dark black night.