View Single Post
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-04-01, 17:04

Ok. So my iBook is fried and eventually I'd have to get my arse together and get a new one. Unfortunately Apple wasn't in the mood of releasing a new one today. I needed a portable badly, so I decided to go pro. But first I did some cost analysis on the various configurations, it's in danish kroner (1 DKK = 6,17 USD):

MBP 1,83 Ghz, 2*512 MB RAM, 7,200 rpm HD: 17,319.08 DKK
MBP 2,0 Ghz, 2*512 MB RAM, 7,200 rpm HD: 19,745.88 DKK

That's an 8,86 % increase in price, which very nicely matches the 9,28 % increase in clock speed and the extra 128 MB VRAM. Looks like the 2 Ghz model is not as economically unrational as I thought from earlier forum discussions, which I haven't been able to find via search (ok. I suck at search ).

Quite interesting. And so was the RAM pricing: When I placed my order I opted for 1*1 GB RAM instead of the above. I wanted to keep the specs as equal as possible for the comparison above. The funny thing is that the RAM prices in the danish Apple store very much reflects the market prices as long as you don't go for the 2*1 GB option. Then it starts going stupid, charging 2,300 DKK for one 1 GB stick. Actually I think it's always been like this, nobody just noticed it before.

One might rightfully agrue that I woundn't need such a monster and that in absolute numbers I would be better served with a new iBook. But I don't wan't to see them updated next week just to feel I had seen that coming a mile away. And in Denmark used Macs are almost as expensive as the new ones. So oddly I think this was somehow the most rational to do. Also concidering all the nice software the pro machines come with.

Eh. Did this turn into a rant? My point was to start some debate over the relative differences in price.