View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-11-04, 09:03

OK, I realize this is more Ive (or Apple in the Ive era) bashing, but… I didn't really realize the "sustainable practices" connection last night on my phone. Under Ive, Apple hardware really took… quite a lateral move in sustainability.

On the one hand, they've been moving their own facilities to be carbon-neutral. And they've removed a ton of packaging, especially plastic, and added some cardboard instead. Good stuff. On the other hand, and I do get the sense that this was driven significantly by a drive of Thinnovation™, more and more batteries were glued, more and more chips soldered, fewer and fewer parts easy to remove and replace. (This is one of the many things that's an improvement on the 2021 MBPs: there's a pull tab for the battery!)

So, call this character assassination, but is the guy who oversaw a trend of near-impossible component replacement the right one to hand out "sustainable practice" awards?