View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-11-06, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I was using a Mac in a store a few weeks ago (when I saw my first M1 24" iMac in real life) and it had Big Sur and I loved the way it looked/felt (I'm still on Mojave ), so I'm looking forward to Big Sur/Monterey being my daily driver, once I update to a new, M1-based Mac.
I mostly still prefer the Yosemite through Catalina (including Mojave) look, TBH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Funny to think back to those earlier versions with all the transparency, stripes, shadows, stuff looking like gumdrops, etc. and, over the years, how toned-down and nice it has become. I see old screenshots of Jaguar, Panther, etc. and I kinda cringe or think "I can't believe I stared at that shit all day...how did I ever get anything done?!"

I was a bit on the loud-and-obnoxious side, looking back. Although, at the time, it was so different than OS 9, we didn't care. I was at MWSF 2000 and those huge blue gel "X" banners hanging everywhere painted the picture of what was to come.

"Ahh...they're gonna make the OS look like the iStuff; things are blue, see-through and poochy!"

That was my takeaway after three days in Moscone!
It was definitely loud, yes. I think they were very deliberately making a "UIs can look a fair amount different!" statement. Some of it was toned down by the final 10.0 (no more centered Apple logo, say), and then they further refined it over the years, reducing a lot of translucency.

That seems to be a bit of an Apple pattern. iOS 7 was also quite bold (or, well, ultra-thin, as the case may be) when first shown. By the actual 7.0, they had toned it down a lot, and further refinements took place over the years.