View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-11-06, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
chucker, Got a link for installing Monterey on older machines? I'm mildly interested in this for some of my "vintage" MBPs.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...hread.2299557/

You want to check if your model is supported by OpenCore Legacy Patcher, and you also want a USB stick to put the installer on.

I did not do the latter (i installed Monterey without the need for any external media) and it was fine, but it did require a time-consuming and risky adjustment: I booted into macOS Recovery to shrink my APFS container by 20 GBs and add a FAT32 partition after that. (I see Disk Utility has been gotten a lot nicer about this sort of scenario, but still not perfect — you have to remove a few APFS snapshots to gain space first, and it doesn't tell you that.) Then I booted back into the regular OS, ran the installinstallmacos.py tool, and finally ran OpenCore-Patcher to install that as the new boot manager on my main disk. Rebooted again, booted into the macOS Installer CD, and everything after that kind of just worked?