View Single Post
eternal

2005-02-19, 18:46

Quote:
Then they can launch a G5 with no display faults, which will be nice. G5 Rev A users can just worry about the knackered hinges, electric shocks, unworkable battery life, jets of boiling liquid coolant flying out, scalded laps, etc etc etc
RFLMAO.

Wouldn't you think they would attempt to try a higher res display in a $999 Cinema Display than a $3000 Powerbook first? They may be entirely different display technologies, I don't know. I just saw the "WWDC 2004 Graphics and Media State of the Union" presentation in which the newer Quartz features were mentioned, and I believe it was mentioned that a "DirectX 9 capable card" was required for full compliance, the ATI 9800XT specifically was mentioned. The current 17" only has a 9700. Possible that Tiger's release will coincide with, at the very least, a Powerbook with newer cards to utilize Quartz?

And something that occured to me: is there any chance the newer 17's in fact do have the 1920x1200 capablility - but is locked lower in Panther, only to be realized in Tiger?

And don't fret too much tobes, there are people who've dropped $2999 on 30" Cinemas who are locked into 100ppi that may have to watch as higher-res displays roll out too.

Last edited by eternal : 2005-02-19 at 23:13.