View Single Post
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-04-14, 18:01

I am not blaming you or the server for the FPS issue. Rendering complexity here is not the same as blocks or chunks being updated. the FPS issue in the lava chamber (and only in it!) isn't related to chunks changing. it just isn't. this means that the server load from a person standing in my lava chamber and moving their camera around (which is where the fps is an issue), isn't any different than them just standing there moving their camera at some other place on the map. i.e. you've got to look somewhere else for the once a minute spike in load.

perhaps we should just have everyone shut off their machines and see what happens, especially if you cannot figure out which chunk is loaded that seems to be associated with the error...

just to be sure that user was me, and at about that time, I was flying around the world really really quickly... (i love my power armor).

Edit: turtle, because I cannot let a bad thought experiment breathe -- the reason your proposed thought-experiment 'proof' that the FPS issue IS server related does not work (and is quite dumb) is that you have failed to control for the fact that the rendering is being done on two different chunks, thus failing to address your central idea that the server can have an effect on render speed. the better thought experiment would be to consider whether i would have fps issues on a local copy of the map versus a non-local copy. but in that case, neither of us would be able to definitely know what the outcome was going to be -- there is no logical way to come to a conclusion. in fact, thinking about several other alternative experiments (considering bad internet connection, or rapidly changing chunks being sent slower than they were changing) all server related visual defects would be interpreted as lag as opposed to fps drops, so I am not really sure what you were going for here.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2013-04-14 at 18:20.