View Single Post
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-12-06, 10:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
In all honesty, I cannot think of a single PC company that doesn't make shit computers. Buying a desktop seems like a stupid thing to do. If you're not knowledgeable enough to build a PC on your own (which is not hard), then you probably shouldn't be using Windows. Really, that's how I see it. I use Windows because although it's not as good an OS as the Mac, it's good enough and it gives me endless freedom to mess with my hardware. I would see NO benefit in going to Windows if I didn't get this freedom.
Uh, the real reasons for Windows PC's are price and software compatibility. You don't need to DIY to get either of those benefits, you just need to find a decent computer builder that may also be a company. Many sell decent ready configurations, and many let you write up a component list if you are so inclined. You lose the hassle of building and gain a warranty that covers the whole box and troubleshooting also in the future. My friend is doing this right now, I might do it myself. When I built my last box there was trouble with broken parts (this was the IBM 75GXP times, three sequential hard drives died on me in a month). If I consider my time worth *anything at all*, I lost a lot when I didn't go with a prebuilt box.