View Single Post
EDS66

2004-06-02, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
i work at a big 10 university. we have a lot of platforms here, and i've found (so far) every MSCE that's been hired, to be knowledgeable about the MS areas of computers, but ignorant (and unwilling) to learn the others.

the last thing i need is some dill hole who thinks every answer is ready in a shrink wrapped MS box. sure, there's a lot you can do with active directory, but are you recommending that because that's all/what you know, or did you look into Samba and find out it won't do what we're looking for.

to me MSCE's are a tightly focused flashlight beam. nice and bright in a limited breadth.

i want someone who might not have as sharp of a focus in one particular area, but who's willing to look into other areas for the answers. you can always learn more about a subject if you need to know more about it. but if you've been "trained" so to speak to look for the answers in one place, then that's the only place you're going to find answers.

I understand a little better why you were saying what you were saying. In a multi-platform shop other variables do become important. But there are plenty of firms out there who are one-stop Microsoft shops. The company I work for full time, for example, is one of those shops. We deliver turnkey Microsoft solutions to small business. I do have to deal with an occasional Mac here and there, but very infrequently and very briefly. In this context, an MCSE with experience is better, plain and simple, than a person with experience but without an MCSE.

In my private business, however, I have to be “ambidextrous”, when it comes to the two platforms, but still have to call on other sources when confronted with Linux problems. So, granted, the relevancy of an MCSE to a position where premium is on, let’s say, Linux, is limited.

That said, I still think that an MCSE who has worked in mixed platform environments, who has a modicum of respect for other non-Microsoft computer professionals, and who actually works in a position requiring Microsoft expertise, would bring structured Microsoft knowledge to the table and thus do better than a person with similar qualifications but with no MCSE.