Thread: Wwdc 2021
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-01, 04:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
It would be nice if Apple at least put some effort into improving the traditional file sharing for Macs. Airdrop is fine for simple file transfers, but for other stuff not helpful. I was going to turn my old Mini into a file server, but if I did I think I'd switch the OS to some Linux variant.
Yeah, it's the one thing that has been consistently unreliable for me ever since I started using Mac OS X (10.1.4?). Over time, it got better? Maybe? Or its failure modes changed?

But there's still so much brokenness about it. Sometimes, computers don't show up in the sidebar. Sometimes, computers do, but their shares don't. Sometimes they only don't in Finder, but do in Open dialogs (huh?). Sometimes, I simultaneously have the contents of a share open in Finder while Finder simultaneously claims it can't see that share, so I can get there if I know the path, but I can't browse to there). Sometimes, things just beachball in perpetuity.

For most of those cases, failing all else, I can hit `sudo killall netbiosd NetAuthSysAgent Finder UmountAssistantAgent networkserviceproxy DiskUnmountWatcher diskarbitrationd` and there's probably an Apple engineer dying in agony seeing that line, but at least Finder is well-behaved again for a minute.