Thread: Wwdc 2021
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-01, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
It’s been a long time, but IIRC file sharing was more reliable in Mac Classic OSs’, kind of sad really.
Maybe with AFP, but classic Mac OS didn't have SMB built in at all. I vaguely recall using "DAVE" then (but I don't quite recall why).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Even when we are using Apple routers it still happens, and you’d think that would be one of the kinks in the chain.
Yeah, I don't think it has that much to do with the other devices. My guess is much of it is related to how mounting works on Unix-style OSes. Whereas Windows has a notion of ad-hoc access to files on a remote system (though that isn't flawless either; it caches credentials and if you ever get those wrong, they're non-trivial to reset without logging out), macOS seems to (mostly) rely on explicitly mounting shares into the file system, which processes then lock onto.

So, the following kind of scenario seems to break for me:
  1. I have a file server Foo
  2. Time Machine is backing up to it
  3. in the meantime, I want to access a file on it in Finder
  4. however, the network got flaky at some point, so macOS isn't actually connected to the server any more

Because Time Machine backing up created a lock, macOS couldn't in the meantime kill that connection and create a new one. And because of that, Finder can never get a new connection. And it (often) isn't enough to stop the backup in Time Machine either, because it wants to do so cleanly, which it actually cannot because the connection is no longer there (but it thinks it is). Add to that, of course, that I didn't actually ask Time Machine to do back up in the first place; it did so automatically in the background.

I don't even understand how regular users are supposed to even begin to figure that out (other than rebooting, which… probably eventually works, after a long timeout expires).

I don't know how it worked in Classic Mac OS, though.