Thread: The Future
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-26, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
I'm not sure that's necessarily quite true. Apple seems very keen on convergence in the sense of "The Digital Hub". AirTunes (and later MovieTunes?) is an example of this. iTunes and iTMS are to some degree also a reflection of this, bringing audio (music, radio and podcasts) and video (first music, then shorts, then full length features) together and allowing them to be co-ordinated via a Mac; and even the iLife suite reflects this in its most basic form in the sense of photos becoming slideshows, music added from iTunes and then exported to DVD. It seems a fair bet that we could have seen a PVR by now (and I guess we might still) if this didn't complicate Apple's already tortuous negotiations with the film studios / TV companies.
I don't really consider that convergence. iTunes, iTMS, iPod and AirTunes focus on one thing, music, and they do it great. (Sure, lately iTunes, iTMS and iPod do videos as well, but that's a whole other problem.)

Quote:
Where Apple don't see convergence is in a single device becoming the main personal electronic accompaniment (ie a single cellphone/camera/MP3 player etc).
Which is how I would define convergence. For instance, iLife isn't one app handling creation, organization and enjoyment of photos, music, videos, websites. Rather, it's split into multiple, which all focus on certain things.