Thread: MC: Currency
View Single Post
arteggio

2011-04-26, 13:13

I was just about to come amend my ideas when Kraetos beat me to the same concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Okay, I think there's an important part of this which I haven't made clear.

…words words words…
This.

Once Brad grants us slimeballs, that is all we ever get from him. We do not get more slimeballs unless we kill our own slimes.

Then, we buy items as we need them and we sell items to make money. All of our currency 'stays within' this system. If you balance your expenditures of items with sales from your own items, you should never really run out of slimeballs and need to ask for more. (Which would make the currency system pointless.)

I think the Bradmart should be stocked with only the rare and unobtainable items. Let diamond and lapis be expensive. Let netherrack and glowstone be moderately cheap, since no one else can obtain it.

Then, all of our own stores can sell everything. Besides occasional surpluses, I do not see most of us having a stack of diamonds or lapis laying around to sell.

But if one player goes to the trouble to mine a beach and now has 15 extra stacks with no immediate or foreseeable use, why can't that player be monetarily compensated for the time they took mining all that sand? It's as if their time spent mining can be compensated, time which they were not spending on building or acquiring other materials they might need. Sell the sand for some slimeballs, and use the slimeballs to buy, say, lapis, which would not have been obtainable while mining sand.

Taking an example between myself and bobsky: I have a full chest of dirt, and let's say bobsky hadn't yet acquired as much dirt as he needs and a full currency system was in place. Say he doesn't want to flatten any more mountains, or simply doesn't want to take the time to do so (he's been building the 'Ranch for months — time for some hills atop!).

All that dirt I mined up is useless to me, but not to bobsky. Bobsky compensates my time spent mining dirt with a dirt-chest worth's of slimeballs.

Now I can go use all of the slimeballs on some expensive diamonds from the Bradmart and mine cobble more efficiently than with iron or any worse tool.

Thus, bobsky didn't have to spend time acquiring a ton of dirt. I didn't have to spend my time going down deep for diamonds with crappy tools. Win-win.

There, my proposal for how currency would be useful.

It' simple to set up; all we have to do is see if we can make it work between ourselves. If a player does not want to partake in money, they can mine their own resources, as we have all been doing since December. Currency would be an evolution of the economy, opening up the possibility of becoming more time-efficient as the ultimate end, I think.

I want personal stores too. As has been said, one single Bradmart, operated by the person that gives out slimeballs and resources into the market where slimeballs would be used, is sort of pointless. So, remove the admins from the equation except where sensible (again, the rarities and unobtainables). Besides for this niche market, the economy is controlled by the each of us.

The moment Brad wishes he had kids, we can end it. Until then, I totally want to do it now.

In the meantime, re: yellow flowers and black wool: how much do each of you need of each? I have 1.5 stacks of both.

EDIT: I over-estimated my black wool (forgot that that was what I gave to Robo ). I have 19 black wool and an ink blot with no need for them.

Last edited by arteggio : 2011-04-26 at 13:23.