View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-09, 22:21

I have no plans for diagonals in 2.0, simply because they are hard—going on impossible—to make look good. Personally, I'm not going to build them. If someone else wants to, be my guest. Otherwise, I plan to build out in X, Y, and then connect around the perimeter. I may add a halfway-perimeter (an inside box, if you will) to reduce travel distances for those portals inside the outer ring. I think this would look nice and create a bit more dimension to the system.

At this point, I just haven't seen a diagonal that looks good while being symmetrical. Even the current hub's diagonals are ugly (to me) and I hate them. They are useful, but I'd rather have a pleasant design that can be intersected with in a symmetrical and cool-looking manner.

One of the reasons I used the iron bars to "hang" from the ceiling is that the current Hub looks too artificial. There is no structural reality to the tubes. Some may have noticed some pillars going up beneath portals near spawn. That's me looking desperately for something like structural engineering—i.e., support.

Anyway, it's still early in the planning stages, and I am waiting patiently for input from others. I don't feel comfortable making a "command" decision on such a project, although that sort of happened with Nether Hub 1.0 due to a lack of input. If we get to 2.0 with little or no input, I'll just start working on it—because it's fun! Perhaps this is the sort of project that others just don't find compelling, and I'm OK with that. I like doing it.

Also, there is now a mockup of the system I detail here just past the rail-based mockup, so if anyone wants to take a walkthrough, please do so.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)