View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-07-09, 16:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Maybe the 16" MacBook Pro will be Ax-based?
If they do that I SWEAR TO GOD SOMEONE WILL SUFFER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
The 13" MacBook Pro also makes more sense now, although I am curious to see what kind of performance specs a quad-core 1.4GHz i5 w/HT has. That little sucker might become the best value in the lineup.
The short answer seems to be: honestly not that much faster.

Much longer answer:

Hard to say. My current speculation is that it's an unannounced Whiskey Lake-U part that has lower clock rate than existing parts, but adds a beefier GPU instead.

Going by roughly comparable Geekbench scores, that would sadly mean that it's slightly slower to the two-years-old CPU at single-core (new ~3860 vs. old 4341), and only 21% faster at multi-core (new 10948 vs. old 9084), despite twice the core count, mainly because it's going down from 2.3 GHz to 1.4 GHz. Turbo Boost seems to be better on these, though. Also, built-in Spectre/Meltdown mitigation.

Really, if you want performance improvements, you need to wait until later in the year (and that seems optimistic) for Ice Lake to ship in volume.