View Single Post
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-01-12, 02:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
I think you have got your argument the wrong way round! The combined lineup of Mac Pro, iMac, etc would have a product to suit most of us. You however are the exception and clearly an enthusiast who enjoys tinkering and overclocking - as I did a few years ago.
That explains why you exclaimed the new Mac Pro to be your new gaming machine then? A gaming machine with 7 irrelevant cores? If only Apple made a machine that most gamers and SOHO users would want, maybe they'd actually get third parties to make video cards for them again.

In January of last year I predicted the gap between the iMac and Mac Pro would only widen come 2008.

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=428756
http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=429128 s/Tigerton/Harpertown/

Quote:
That is besides the point though. My comment was directed at the fact that you basically bitched about the price and then compared it to a completely different system!
I can only compare my system to what actually exists. Since the iMac doesn't meet my needs, the Mac Pro is the only comparable Mac.

Quote:
Amazon has Vista Ultimate listed for £329.98 which xe.com tells me is $646.342US!!! Holy crap, that just doubled the price of your system!
Vista Ultimate 64-bit is US $179 at NewEgg.
Vista Home Premium 64-bit is $111.

Quote:
Did I say I owned a Gigabyte, Asus or MSI??? No I owned an Abit board - a 7xxx something with an onboard Highpoint controller - It failed. Got replaced. and failed again.
You questioned the reliability of Abit boards, so you have a huge list of alternatives. You can even buy a vanilla Intel branded board if you'd like. My old DIY PC has been chugging along just fine for 3 years now (other than a PSU lost to a massive power surge that also killed several other devices around my house). I expect this one to last me just as long.

Quote:
OK, I'm not quite sure what FUD is supposed to mean or how it relates to what I would be happy running. As an IT consultant people pay good money for my experience and advice but you can have it for free and call it FUD if you want - I don't want this to become any kind of personal slagging match !
You are casting fear, uncertainty, doubt on my DIY PC's reliability with basically zero authority.

Quote:
Like I said before - my gripe was with your comparison. In my eyes your system does not equal a Mac Pro.
The Mac Pro is the only 'comparable' machine Apple sells.

Quote:
An interesting question for this population would be how many other enthusiasts that have build their own systems (like you and I) think that your system (and it's price) are an accurate and equal comparison to a Mac Pro?
The Mac Pro is the only 'comparable' machine Apple sells.

Last edited by Eugene : 2008-01-12 at 02:42.