View Single Post
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-07-28, 21:49

Mac+,

Thanks for your reply and taking the time to voice your opinions.

Right now I use 2 strings, one holds the note names and the other holds the TTSTTTS string. I use modulo math so I can do all the scales/modes with only these two strings. Because of this, the enharmonics aren't posted in the way you described (this is v 0.1 ).

I've been scheming on a way to stick with the same two strings and use the space between the previous and current notes to calculate the proper name for the enharmonic. Even doing this won't work for all scales, particularly the Locrian mode because so many notes are flatted (2,3,5,6,7).

I don't want to go the route of creating a different string for each scale/mode combo, so I'm willing to live with some slight imperfections in describing the scale. The scales I display still show the proper notes, which is the most important part to me.

My next update will address some cosmetic issues and will try to show the scales closer to what you show in your example. Also, I will show the chord notes for the 7 chords in each scales. The user will be able to select between displaying triad, 7th, or 2 octave extended chords.

I hadn't planned on showing fretboard / keyboard finger placement as I meant it for any musician to use it to practice scales and modes on their instrument. It is a good idea though and I'll think about adding that in.

I programmed this using XCode/Interface Builder, and Objective-C to create a Cocoa program. This is my first program after taking a 2 day crash course in Xcode/Interface Builder. Gotta give props to Eric at www.macdev.ca . I already knew C & Java but didn't have a grasp on how to use Apple's tools so I took Eric's class.