View Single Post
ronmexico

2008-03-11, 21:31

Moogs...I agree with you!

MBHockey, you are considering medicine? I'll tell you a little about me. I was seriously considering going to medical school. I had a 3.7 GPA at Virginia Tech with a double major in Biochemistry and Chemistry. I taught Organic Chemistry to MCAT students as a part time job, and had high test scores. My father is a physician. I could have easily gone to medical school, but decided to go to dental school and love it. As a dentist, orthodontist, oral surgeon, ect. your life is not dictated by insurance companies or administrations and the material is very challenging and always changing. According to Forbes, prosthodontic dental practices (like mine) are more lucrative than most medical specialties. The amount of school, debt, and ass kissing is less. As an owner I control my overhead, who I see, what insurance companies I affiliate with, if any (I don't), and I can get great tax benefits.

Having a background in engineering is a huge benefit in dentistry particularly in large cosmetic cases and implantology. The mouth is a very mechanical environment with large forces being applied on prosthetic and natural surfaces. Designing an beautiful mouth that can withstand the muscles of mastication for decades is very challenging and fun.

My advice: consider alternatives to medicine. Avoid the specialties in medicine where you are not your own boss or subject to higher liability...particularly ER, pediatrics, anesthesiology, radiology, OB ect. Consider plastic surgery, dermatology, ect where you control your own overhead, are not at the beck and call of the insurance companies.