View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-03-17, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
OK, thanks. Just an idea: Would there theoretically be a way to create an iPhone/Touch app to convert Flash? (or is this technically not possible or, perhaps, contrary to Flash proprietary rights?). I am thinking of Flip4Mac, by way of analogy.
Theoretically? Sure. Realistically? Highly doubtful. To the best of my knowledge, there's no good third-party Flash interpreter even for the PC. See Gnash and Swfdec for the leading alternatives. Creating one with a reasonably high level of compatibility with current Flash objects and making it work well on the iPhone would be a Herculean feat.

Also, the previous iPhone SDK has stated:
Quote:
No interpreted code may be downloaded and used in an Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Appleā€™s Published APIs and built-in interpreter(s).
So, Apple could reject a Flash app on the above grounds, making the high development costs quite risky.

That said, it also wouldn't surprise me if the third-party players like Gnash and Swfdec are actually breaking Adobe's EULAs, as there's probably a clause or two in there somewhere about not reverse-engineering Adobe's formats and players.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.