View Single Post
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-10-04, 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Says who? It's not like the iPhone is tanking and people are staying away in droves due to some "shitty, unusable 3.5" dislay"...

Apple being Apple, is there any possibility that, throughout 2005-2006 (or whenever they truly started getting this phone project underway) that conducted buttloads of researches, testing, mockups, etc. and determined - in terms of reach, comfort, access, fatigue, etc. - that perhaps this screen, at this size/ration, was a really nice, ideal sort of way to go?

Because if that's the case, that would both a) explain why it has remained the same for five revisions now (despite all the "iPhone killers" out there having displays as big as a Pop Tart), and b) make it clear that Apple's probably never going to deviate from that, at least not anytime soon; so if a 4"+ screen is the end-all/be-all to particular users, they might either need to start looking elsewhere or come around to Apple's thinking.

Seems they would've done it by now, which makes me think that they've got a really good, solid reason for the 3.5" and have no problem sticking with it after five revisions?

I don't see the increase of half-an-inch, if everything is just going to "scale up" and get a bit larger, much to get excited about. If they're going to go big with a larger screen, it would be nice if it was large enough to truly matter...accommodate an extra row and column of app icons, allow developers to access new, unused space in their tweaked apps, etc.

But here's the thing: if my thinking above is true at all (that Apple arrived at their 3.5" size/ration after careful research and testing), then that puts stuff in a tough spot...

- If only going a bit bigger, with scaling up and no real real-estate/usability enhancement, what's the point?
- If they go too big (join the Pop Tart gang), it may go against everything they've discovered and consider valuable?

Get used to the 3.5" (or start looking elsewhere if that's truly an important factor), gang...I think it's going to be around longer than some of you will be able to stomach.

options are good.

The iMac should have never gone beyond 15" too!