View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-02, 11:44

Why aren't you guys talking about this? Is this not, literally, the second coming amongst the SW crowd? I figured this thread would've exploded over the weekend and about 12-15 pages added in just 2-3 days.

Interesting. And a bit telling.

While I don't really give a shit about it all anymore, big picture, if I read that final scene correctly the other night, isn't that something kinda cool/big news? Has such a thing not fueled countless neckbeard nocturnal emissions for three-plus decades?

All the YouTube reactions are as expected, but you can't go by that because there's been an whole industry created in recent years of people losing their pop culture shit on camera (for likes/subscribes, etc.). It's so ginned-up and tiresome at this point, seeing "adults" cry/spaz out over superheroes and sci-fi properties. But do the reasonable, grounded and life-having folks here have nothing to say about it?

Personally, I think it's a one-and-done tease. Or, at the very least, a return in the final episode, where something may - or may not - actually happen. I think Disney is going to drag this one out, knowing that the lure is set and why pay it off too early/soon if they can draw people in over the next however many episodes it takes to reach the season finale. Those YouTube "reaction factories" droolingly gearing up for a continuation in episode 2 are probably gonna be crying/cursing, deep in nerd rage (and there's nothing funnier on the planet, BTW), Friday night. And the next several.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
I think we don't see that character again - assuming he is who we think it is - until the final 1-2 episodes. At which point, he sacrifices himself to save the child and his Mandalorian caretaker, giving the character a true, fitting end that he was denied in 1983. I can imagine a scene where the armor goes back on, he tells Mando to "go now, while you can..." and then he singlehandedly takes on a shitload of stormtroopers and whatever else, going out like the hard-ass he was painted to be in all the non-movie materials over the years. The final scene being a slow pullback on the character, shot up and smoking with the headgear damaged or removed in such a way that we see the actors "at peace" face/eyes...and as the camera continues to pull back, we see dozens and dozens of dead stormtroopers and other assorted riff-raff all lying about as well, dead as a hammer.

The child and Mando live, as a result.

At that point, everyone can then quit saying "he went out like a punk, totally by accident". The way above, he gets to go out in a heroic blaze of glory, fighting to the end, doing the right thing and forever cementing the character into SW lore. Because, let's face it...all he really did in those two movies was stand around and look cool, say a couple of lines and pop off a couple of (missed) shots. The movies really did him no favors whatsoever, so maybe Favreau & Co. are looking to address/rectify that, 37 years later? Because I don't think they're going to leave his fate/whereabouts vague and unknown for another three-plus decades. Much better to give him a proper, definitive end than to just yank people around some more. IMO.

Plus, would that not dovetail perfectly into Disney/Lucasfilm's apparent goal to bring back beloved, iconic characters after 30+ years, just so they can kill them? I believe this is a no-brainer, folks. Dead man walking, this one...

For the record, I do not think they're going to base a new show around him...this isn't going to be some setup to a new series or whatever. That ship has sailed, IMO...they would've done so already. That surrogate/stand-in for him is this show/character. They're not going to produce two separate shows with similarly-outfitted characters, engaging in similar adventures/behavior. That's just too much silly, needless overlap when they could explore other interesting, novel tales and characters (Obi-Wan, Greedo's nephew or even someone new/unknown to us).

It's a big universe, after all. You wouldn't know it, from all we've seen over the years. But, at some point, they might actually decide to break away from Tatooine and Jedi/Skywalker/OT trappings. I doubt it, but you never know.

Just a thought.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-02 at 12:15.