View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-03-03, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Rubel worth less than a US penny
Just to be extra clear about this point in particular because I've seen a lot of hyperbolic chest-thumping about the plummeting value of the ruble:

The USD:RUB ratio is currently about 1:105 which makes 1 ruble worth slightly less than 1 US cent, but for the last couple years until last week, the ratio had been about 1:75, meaning that 1 ruble has been worth about USD 0.013 or a whole…

1.3 cents.

So, yes, while it has certainly lost a lot of its value, it's not the apocalyptic multiple-orders-of-magnitude collapse that a lot of folks probably imagine it to be. Without that historic context, comparing to the US dollar is pretty worthless. You might as well compare it to the Japanese yen which has an even worse ratio with USD:JPY currently around 1:115! Japan's economy is doomed!

I don't mean to pick on you in particular, 709. I just wanted to nip this particular point in the bud because I've seen it abused out of context so much in social media lately.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.