View Single Post
Anonymous Coward

2022-04-04, 23:47

This is not directly related to the Russia v Ukraine situation, but I'm not sure where else to put this (except perhaps April Fools, since this happened to be sent on 1 April).

Has anyone else received a poll from their congressperson regarding gas prices? Apparently they are considering the following:

1) Offer rebates to consumers to offset high gas prices

2) Suspend the 18.4 cent per gallon of the federal gas tax

3) Take no action

4) Other

Since choosing (4) did not leave any way to leave comments, I chose (3). I made the decision to avoid driving when possible, and would keep doing that even if Congress chose to implement (1) or (2).

This is the text introducing the poll, omitting the part explaining the world situation.

"Congress is considering several different options to help ease the pain at the pump, including rebates for middle class households. I’ve cosponsored legislation to provide $100 rebates to everyone earning less than $75,000 per year during every month that gas prices exceed $4 per gallon on average nationwide. Families would also receive $100 per dependent.

What do you think Congress should do to offset higher gas prices caused by Putin?"

"I" being Anna G. Eshoo from the San Francisco Bay Area, where gas prices often exceed $4 per gallon without oil supply problems.