View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-06, 10:33

My Dad will be getting a new Mac mini soon (replacing his old 15" MacBook Pro...don't ask how old, let's just say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree ).

He does use Office (Word, mostly), so he'll certainly need a newer version than the old yellow box "home/student"(?) (on disc) version he has.

I see where they've gone to the subscription model too, but I think I remember Ken saying that a standalone, one-time home-oriented version of Office is available as well for ~$150.

What's the basic differences/run down?

He doesn't use Outlook and he really doesn't use Excel either.

Do they even sell Word as a separate product for those who just write?

What's the best bet for someone like him (72, retired, likes to write, isn't all that concerned with layout/formatting as much as just basic word processing. If Word is only available as part of the Office suite, which take on that is the "best"? The ongoing subscription, or the "buy and once and just use it as long as possible"? Does the "one-time purchase" version get updates? For how long?

Sorry, I know next-to-nothing about Office (been using the Apple version for well over a decade for any of those Office-y type tasks).