View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-04-06, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
One final question before I present all this to him later on this evening...

This one-time purchase version...what's the update situation on it?
It's supported until October 2026.

Quote:
If he gets this other version, will it receive security/bug/improvement point updates as well for some time?
Yes.

Quote:
Is it seen as a "separate" thing altogether by Microsoft, where it gets its own updates specific to it for a couple of years, but, at some point, a whole new version will get released and either you buy that outright (or pay a small upgrade fee to movie up)?
Yes, but I think there are no upgrades. So, in late 2026, you're expected to buy a new version at full price.

Quote:
But I have to believe that incremental changes in Office, Quicken, etc. every couple of years is less jarring than going from something created in 2008-2010 and then using the latest 2021ish version...Mom made a 15-year leap in Quicken overnight, and, naturally, wasn't happy that it all "looks and feels" different.
Right.

Arguably the biggest overhaul was Office 2011, when they added the Ribbon to the Mac version. Afterwards, there have been visual refreshes and certainly feature additions, but nothing quite as massive of a change — with the exception of Outlook, which has recently had a change so major that you can still switch to the old UI if you prefer (and because the new one doesn't yet have all features back).