View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-13, 10:21

I spent part of the weekend re-watching the first four installments of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
They look amazing (that's never been an issue or in dispute) and, as expected, Ewan McGregor is the best thing about this (as he was with the prequels).

But I have to say, upon an "all together" re-watch, there's some real ball-dropping taking place in the writing/overall story, IMO.

This thing, while great to look at/fun to watch, seems so far away from what it could/should have been. And, more than ever, I'm convinced some of the writers have never seen anything Star Wars-related before. It's striking me as a show that is taking six episodes to say what it could have in 2-3 (or just a nice 2:30 standalone movie). While not as meandering and time-wasting as The Book of Boba Fett, there is some true meandering and time-wasting going on here.

The whole Leia thing seems like a quirky idea that spun out of control, frankly. And, sometimes, it feels like a Reva show. I mentioned a few threads up that this show sometimes feels like anything but an Obi-Wan Kenobi show. They've felt the need to press in these other things, and I don't think it's helped.

There's just so much detouring and tail-chasing going on that takes away from what could/should have been a tight, focused story about Obi-Wan watching over Luke, and trying to keep any baddies (Empire and otherwise) crossing through Mos Eisley, Anchorhead, etc. at bay. I think that's what most everyone was expecting, and looking forward to. And they've basically done everything but.

I'm looking forward to the final two installments, just in the hopes that something kinda happens and it all pays off. But if this show doesn't get a second season, it really won't bother me if this is the kind of thing it's going to be. They've squandered a lot of opportunities on this go-around. They've not been on Tatooine since the first episode, and I just find that really...annoying.

The problem isn't the acting or directing, or even the casting (little Leia and Reva are fine, if not a tad overdone and oddly center-staged). And it certainly isn't the visuals and overall look. I think it's 95% in the writing/story. And a few of the "WTF?!" moments are kinda unforgivable because this property has been in the public eye for over four decades, so anyone hired to write for it should know the basics and how things work. Some sequences come across like some writers from Grey's Anatomy or NCIS were brought in, and weren't told it was a Star Wars project. I can't think of a better way to describe it. It just seems a bit stock and pedestrian at times….too “network TV show” at times, and it’s jarring.

Neither of these two shows have been as truly enjoyable and well-done as The Mandalorian. And that kinda blows my mind, actually...two shows dedicated to Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi are pulling up short, behind a show based on a character that didn't even exist until 3-4 years ago. But maybe, within that, lies the actual answer/reason? Maybe these legacy characters carry too much baggage at this point? Maybe the future of Star Wars, in addition to being these episodic TV shows, also might want to center around new, previously-unknown characters? You can certainly touch back to the OT (and PT) as needed, as The Mandalorian nicely does. But I'm just no longer convinced that building shows around characters who've "had their shot" is the way to go. All of which kinda makes me worry a bit about the upcoming Andor and, especially, Ahsoka.

Since Disney/Lucasfilm seem to be running about 2-3 years behind in realizing the obvious, I expect, come 2024-2025, Ms. Kennedy will announce some new shows, none of which will center around any major, legacy characters from the movies, because they will eventually come around to/realize the above. I think that is a smarter, better approach. And it opens up things for better, "anything goes" storytelling, because you're not having to "match" characters, behavior, motivations, deeds, etc. to what has come before. You can only do/say so much with Boba Fett, Obi-Wan (and Han Solo, the Death Star, etc.). Like Din Djarin, you just bring in a new character and turn them loose to have their own, new adventures in this established, rich universe where the framework and parameters are already established (so it all feels appropriately Star Wars-y). But with the focus being primarily on them, with the fan-service/nostalgia/callbacks limited to occasional guest roles or locations, ships, visuals, etc. we all recognize.

Sorry to ramble, but, third episode in yesterday, all the above started to kinda hit me...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-06-13 at 12:00.