View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-04, 14:34

That is a big deal though in the end. If it is going to be automatic, then it needs to be automatic all the way. If I paid for a standby generator then I would have an ABT that handles everything. I wouldn't want to lose power in the middle of the night, my generator kicks in and I immediately overload it with two A/C systems running plus anything else running at the time because we didn't get heavy load circuits cut off.

I wasn't willing to go the route of a full standby generator because costs just didn't make it worth it in the long run. Even in Va Beach with lots of storms and some major hurricanes it was still not mathematically worth it to do that. The generator I have an interlock/MBT set up was sufficient.

This same logic is why I am/was going with the Span Panel. The Powerwalls can only power something like 40A continuous. This means on a summer night with the A/C going it was VERY likely we would overload it and it would shutoff for circuit protection. Span would be able to control the loads and isolate the circuits to the ones that need to be powered when on battery.

So if I was going to do an automatic generator I would want automatic circuit management too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.