View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-08, 09:32

I'm surprised you didn't go with the USW-Pro-48-PoE. I say this because I'm at only 28 ports free right now and I know I'm going to be connecting more into the network when I add solar and batteries and other things in my house. 24 ports go quickly. Now if you have the space, it might be better for you to add a second switch that isn't PoE to be cheaper. I just went with the PoE 48 because it shrunk my stack.

Side note, the USW-Flex-Minis are awesome and powered by PoE.

Get one of the SFP+ jumpers to go from the DMP to the PoE. No need in making that go over copper. Normally you can get the cable for under $15 since it is s short. Here is one on Amazon for $10. I have the 2m version I'm connecting my NAS to the switch with. The one I have connecting the DMP to the switch is a Unifi branded one, but it doesn't need to be.

Here is what my rack (networking) looks like. I put the PoE on top because I use it like a shelf for my ISP's router (required) and my mom's Time Capsule as well as a Raspberry Pi running my proxy and temp monitoring.

I also don't currently use any other switch ports on the DMP, more because I don't need them yet. While I have 10Gb between the DMP and switch, I would rather not have to leave the switch since all my internal traffic stays in that switch.

Oh, and you can see my Protect Flex on the edge of the rack too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2022-09-08 at 09:56.