View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2018-07-06, 06:30

If the rumored orange iPhone can’t bring pscates back I fear nothing will.

As for me, life is okay. I turned 30, so I feel fucking OLD. Moving to “suburbia” didn’t help. Okay, it’s not technically the burbs, but we’re not downtown any more…Rent in PDX has gone crazy and somehow I wasn’t smart enough to get a condo in, like, 1998, so we decided to buy a place a bit further out, with a yard and neighbors and everything. I think Bri likes it more than I do, but he was always more of a homebody. Bjarni likes the yard though, and even though it’s small for a house we have way more room than before. Bri has a garage, I have a craft room/office (oh what they hey, it’s all Lego) and the idea is that we’ll modernize it (it’s not a “fixer upper” per se, but it is dated in some easily-remedied surface ways) and maybe sell it in a few years if the economy doesn’t tank.

Of course, now I want to move to Canada.

But we’ll see. We put some solar panels up on the roof, which only really makes sense if we’re staying there longer-term, but that wasn’t a purely financial decision. I’ve still been obsessed with building a tiny house and that’s actually legal in Oregon now…as an accessory dwelling to a “real” house, which we have now, so huzzah? Maybe we’ll build a tiny house on wheels in the backyard and then haul it up to the Great White North. But now that I’m used to all this space I might not be able to give it up

What else…the lease on our lovely “Orange Special” X1 was up (three years goes by so fast!) so we turned it in and got...an X2, which is a bizarre amalgamation that should not exist and I think I love it. The new X1 is a lot taller and more SUV-y than ours, which I didn’t like, and the X2 is still bigger but it feels not as tall (because it’s a Sport Wanktivity Coupe or whatever) so it was what we chose. It’s not orange, though. It’s this eye-searing yellow-green color and I adore it and our neighbors hate it even more than the Orange Special and that makes me love it even more. Like the bloatier new X1 (but unlike our X1 *Classic*) it’s FWD, which I thought would bother me since it’s “sacrilege” and everything but honestly it’s…fine? Like, it’s fine, guys.

We never did get the matching orange Z4 to go with the Orange Special (guess I didn’t buy enough Bitcoin)…but we *did* pick up a super cute used 500e for really cheap (seriously guys, a bunch of leases have expired and they’ve just been dumped onto the market, it’s crazy, y’all should look into it) and it’s that bright electric orange color that they all seem to be, so for a brief period we were living the Two Orange Car Dream regardless.

I’m going back to school this fall, because I can’t shake the feeling that I’m not really living up to my potential as a person and I’m not doing what I was meant to do. I’m still a little skeptical about school but I think I need to give this one (more) real go before I get too old (luckily I don’t look like a “returning student”). I was recently diagnosed with ADHD and we’re trying to start to manage it a little better so hopefully I’ll have better outcomes in school than I did before. I figure if nothing else it’ll be a good way to meet people. It’s hard to meet people when you’re an adult!

I don’t know what else to put here. Still using the same old Mac because the keyboards on all the new ones terrify me. I’ve moved up the ladder at my boring corporate job but I *really* don’t like it. Still trying to figure out exactly how to do what I want to do (which is still too many things). But I’m doing okay! Finding myself busy with things I never really thought I’d be busy with (like, uh, gardening?) but that’s growing up I suppose.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong