View Single Post
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-01-28, 05:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Do you guys make a model of your buildings on graph paper before beginning? That reminds me of when we used to design sprites on graph paper back in the 80s... when I knew how to do sprites.

The image above was made in illustrator, which is my go to mockup platform for, well, everything. It does math, gives you exact pixel placement etc.

I also attempted to use a program called Minecraft Structure Planner that effectively produces a grid and allows you to paint on textures (from minecraft) on multiple levels. It was quite nice for one or two layers for small things, but for large things with multiple aligning layers it lacked a certain finesse and ease of use. I really could have used a transparency option for overlaying above and below layers, or even just an easy (quick) key stroke toggle.

Illustrator effectively gives me all of the above with a faster work flow -- especially for highly symmetric structures.

I mentioned the need for an improved water source design. After some experimentation after hours (I couldn't stay away), I realized the only way to handle the corners and not get into trouble was to use three source blocks at the corners with a notch inside to prevent the formation of a still water block:

And a detailed explanation of platform sizes/heights allowing for the inverted corner sources to be used without having a still block. This step design aspect prevents mobs from jumping out of the water onto a ledge by off-setting the stair step drop of the platform from the drop in the rivers. As before heights are indicated by grey scale:

Again, all comments/suggestions welcome and appreciated (as long as they are not snarky).