View Single Post
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2017-05-26, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
I know that having informed discussions is new for you, Nick, but you cannot simply dismiss evidence if it doesn't fit your narrative. You were using special elections as evidence of the continued prowess of the GOPers, but then when the data shows that your interpretation wasn't correct, you now reject them as noise. It is fun to have an opinion and no facts, but you have a tendency of stretching this to incredulity.
I know what I said and what I meant. There's a reason one of us uses the quote function and the other doesn't. You can't misrepresent words if you quote them.

Another one of these FEDERAL special elections for House, Senate, etc just finished up last night and the Democratic Party couldn't knock off a profoundly flawed candidate who had last minute scandal involving an assault charge.

They console themselves that the "gap" of loss is narrowed but as with all of these special elections, they are pouring in massive amounts of outside money from national donors all to get that first win on which they will anchor their ready-made narrative that Trump is going to cost Republicans Federal control. You can go back for round three or four of implying that I really meant Trump would alter elections for dog catcher if you want. I could care less.

Quote:
Yes, I agree, the democrats need to get back to the basics -- they simply cannot be New Labour and expect to make a difference in people's lives. The thing is: for all the noise from Trump about caring for these folks, his economic plan does nothing for them -- the healthcare plan alone robs them of their insurance more so than any other group -- so the fundamentals here favor a pissed off electorate that is more likely going to self disenfranchize than vote again for any party. This is a slow moving political crisis, and you are sitting here playing T-ball with some stuff you read on the internet.
Well we will see is the point. No one knows yet because his first fiscal year won't even take effect until 2018. I understand that in the model of government giving away goodies, there will be losers. However I think some folks seriously under estimate how good those "goodies" are after years of graft and corruption have drained away so much money with so little to show. Again President Obama borrowed nearly $9 trillion dollars
(perhaps more depending upon the figures you find) and what was shown for it?

When Bush borrowed two thirds as much we could at least note that it was for pointless and endless wars that he lied about to get us in per the narrative of his critics.

What did Obama do with all that money? I mean this as seriously as possible.

So I don't think the impact will be as large as you imagine because there isn't much being delivered for that money. California is a prime example of that where we have among the highest gas taxes in the nation, and they are rising to be tied for highest gas taxes of all so we can have the 48-50th worst ranked road system in the nation depending upon the group doing the ranking.

Claiming that the roads will be bad is an empty threat when they already are bad. Claiming that people will lose medical care when their "insurance" costs them several thousand dollars a year and has deductibles often in the several thousand dollar range before it starts paying out isn't much of a loss. At some point the threat becomes idle and that is why Trump was elected in the first place.

As an example my father works in trucking. He claims he has already seen a massive change in trucking due to immigration enforcement. Likewise there have been articles about increased immigration enforcement noting deportations rising more than 30%. Finally we have articles noting that there are shortages for field work even with that work paying $15 or more dollars per hour.

We shouldn't have record food stamp use and while having labor shortages in areas as varied as picking strawberries or doing tech work. I suspect that when there isn't a labor force undercutting real wages (field to H1B) and likewise no inducement to not work via safety net programs that are given to able-bodied people without children, then many problems will rectify.

All this can happen whether or not there is a wall and I personally don't care for a wall. When the government is so bad, there's lots of low hanging fruit to fix. Allowing ICE to simply do the job they are paid to do becomes a double win. Immigration enforcement goes up as does government productivity. Having an EPA that is less interested in carbon credits and more interested in keeping lead out of pipes is another example of double wins and there are plenty of them out there to try to claim.

If not, well there is always 2020 and again my view is there will be a recession somewhere in there regardless of who is elected.