View Single Post
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-22, 07:47

Jose Canseco is getting POUNDED by the baseball industry (players, management & media) and went on the Today Show on NBC this morning. At first I thought that he was a lone voice of truth about steroid use in the industry and that he was suffering whistleblower syndrome - but then Lauer started citing some recent instances of Canseco trying to raise cash, including putting a championship ring up for auction on eBay (anybody heard about this?).

Jose defended himself, but kind of started rambling. Matt Lauer shepherded him back to the discussion and asked Jose about the rumors that he's putting together a pay-for-view event where he is given a lie-detector test. He pointedly asked "Is this a money thing? Why don't you do it for free? Why not do it on our show, we won't pay you....."

By the end of the interview Canseco began saying that his book was the most important book on sports ever written, that the public can't get enough of it, that it was straight from his lips to the page without media interference...... the whole thing was VERY paranoid and made me question the validity of Canseco's whistleblowing.

I believe that steroid abuse is rampant in pro sports, but Jose Canseco may self-destruct and obfuscate the abuse - allowing it to continue.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter