Thread: LoCash
View Single Post
mark

Send a message via AIM to mark  
2005-06-05, 09:39

I've really been putting off writing some memories of Jack down, because it kind of hurts. Maybe that sounds ridiculous because I wasn't as close to Jack as some. He still meant a great deal to me.

I've known Jack since I was 14 or 15 from a hotline server named the Pimp Shack. For those of you who do not know, hotline is a p2p type program, where users would connect to a server, and you could chat, post news, and share files. Pimp Shack, hosted by Utterer, was home for a lot of Macintosh gamers who loved Quake and the liking. They posted game demos (ingame Quake recordings), Mac-quake utilities, and the infamous sick folder (what was the actual name..?) That sick folder was just that.. sick.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Anyway "corner" was one of the regular users... I think he started going there because of Utterer.. or it could have been Taft (who also hosted a infamous movie & picture set on that server...perhaps he will explain ). From the get go, I started liking some of the things corner liked... such as his hotline icon . Anyway, I come to find out that corner and Utterer are running a Macintosh site, Mac 3D Dot Com. I quickly ask if I could help at all, and thats where the friendship of me and Jack started.

I'd post daily Macintosh industry/gaming news for Mac 3D Dot Com. However, with Mac3D, I talked with Jack daily on AIM. Over the years, we went to two Macworlds together. We've had countless talks on the phone. I went to him for a lot of advice, with the majority of it involving girls

One time flying back from MWNY, I missed my flight in Atlanta. I called Jack very confused, and he immediately said I could fly standby, and stay the night at his house in Atlanta. This was relieving, and he quickly picked me up and saved the day. He took me to some places he enjoyed in Atlanta, like this improv comedy place, and we had a quick late night meal at Waffle House. He introduced me to his mother, and showed me his bike gear that he was very proud of (He would constantly send me Ebay links to items he was bidding on). I remember being so envious of all of the Apple gear in his room, and now messy it was I remember sleeping on the couch, and us waking up *30 minutes* before my flight. Somehow we tore ass in that truck of his, and made it to my flight in time. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW. Either way, our friendship grew so much.

I'm really going on here, so I'm gonna add some memory that always made me smile and laugh out loud. While in MWNY, I was going through his 2400(? i think) powerbook that he loved--it was very small. Anyway, I'm snooping through his laptop for stuff he's trying to hide (i know.. haha). Among other items, inside I believe the "Apple Extras" (Mac OS 9..) he had the Venga Boys song. "The Venga Boys are coming.." I think thats how it goes. I know Six Flags has been using it as their theme song. I immediately questioned Jack about this, and I could not stop laughing. I have no idea why that is so funny to me, but I just loved how he hid it, and what a ridiculous song that is. Everytime I hear that song, I think about him and smile

This post jumps all over the place, but I just wanted to share that I continually think about memories of Jack, and I loved him so much, and I'll definitely miss him. He was definitely a mentor type figure for me growing up, and I've learned and gained so much by his friendship.

Mark Stultz

If there are typos or anything, I hastily wrote this at 9:15 on this Sunday morning.

:mad: mark