View Single Post
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-12-06, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Okay, then we're in completely different situations. For me, computers are a hobby. Building is half the fun! Time spent fixing or upgrading it isn't "wasted," it's quality hobby time. For my purposes, software compatibility (outside of games) is not an issue at all. Price of course is a major issue, but that's only part of the reason I got a PC. Macs just aren't meant for hobbyists.

Anyway, I think it's generally the high-end professional software that's less likely to make it over to the Mac platform, which doesn't concern me at all. Email, AIM, internet browsing, listening to music, image editing... all this is easy to do on both platforms.

I still won't admit that there are any really great PC makers out there , but some are less bad than others.
Building, no problem - that's quick and I could enjoy it unless something goes wrong.

Reinstalling every piece of software for the third time, trying to troubleshoot the hardware, waiting weeks for replacement parts - that's pure waste of time. Not fun, not challenging, not interesting and doesn't benefit you in any way, unless you do it all the time for various people or at work and can somehow leverage the good skill/routine you're developing. I'm a hobbyist too but on only on the software side.

From my viewpoint, the interesting part of software compatibility is games. Generally speaking, the PC software compatibility is not as much "high end" business software, but large custom Win32 app base handtailored for a specific field or business.

I think the kind of guys who take your component list, put things together and give the result a three year warranty, do any repairs in a few days max, all for a decent price, are really great. What more can you expect?