View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-03-19, 07:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x View Post
I haven't heard/don't know much about the adjustments on cameras, but adjusting it on the final image isn't too hard when you have a known white, black, and grey. I do believe that yo have to adjust it for every location though, you can't just adjust it once and be like "well my white balance is set."
Yep, that's very easy to do, but my fear is that cameras throw a lot of image data away based on their white balance assumption.

This all came to me when I analyzed a bunch of images from a friend which all suffered one and the same horribly, horribly low color temperature. Using the white from a woman's blouse in one of the shots helped me get a much more accurate white; applying this same setting to all images helped tremendously. However, the images still felt like they were lacking large parts of the color spectrum: I had merely shifted what parts were covered (to more accurate averages), not enhanced them.

Maybe this wouldn't be as much of an issue when the camera supports RAW, but I'll frequently be getting stuff from people who certainly won't want to support a camera that even supports TIFF (let alone bother with setting the camera up properly before shooting).