View Single Post
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2006-11-10, 01:53

Moogs : When I speak of resolution, I speak of the ability of a camera to capture the maximum of information in a pic.
Shoot a resolution pattern , and see how much resolving power your camera has. If the camera is able to record very tiny details, then it has a good resolving power, otherwise not.
This ability to have a good resolution is based upon several factors :
- the sensor
- the lens in front of it
- the camera post processing (in the camera, or in your computer in case of raw)

Imagine for example that you have a 100 millions pixels sensor, with a terrible lens in front of it : the resolving power would be very low.

Now for the sensor, the resolution is not on par with the maximum number of photosites, because there is various loss even with a perfect lens in front of it. Basically you have various factors of resolution loss :
- the sensor itself : moire filter, depth of the photosites, quality of the micro lenses ...
- the post processing : dematrixing (Eugene explained why it hurt resolution), and image enhancement (suppression of noise, sharpening ...)

That's why a classical DSLR camera has more resolving power than the compact counterpart, and why foveon camera has a 30 % pixel resolution advantage compared to Bayer based matrix camera.
I am ready to bet, that you will be able with the new foveon sensor to do nice A2 print.