View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-02-25, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
This isn't an answer to 'your' question, but a 'wrong change' incident happened to me a few months back. Clearly an intentional incident, however.

I always figure out what my change will be ahead of time, just for the heck of it. This time, I gave the drive-thru cashier a $20 bill and should have received $18.53 in change.

The cashier handed me the change, and said: "Your change is $15.53." I looked at the money lying in my out-stretched hand and just said "Uhhh...", with my eyebrows raised in surprise.
Wait, you bought $1.47 worth of stuff and the cashier thought she could pretend you bought $4.47 worth of stuff? Like, three times as much?

Does that work on people?

I've never really gotten ripped off (unless you count this cookie), but I've been to places where the employees are ripping off the store. Like, if you're at a place where drinks are an even dollar? A lot of the time, if you order just a soda and you're paying with cash, the employee will take your dollar and hand you a cup...but not ring up the transaction, 'cause they just pocket the money. I don't really care, though, I mean I paid for the soda* and if the minimum-wage employee wants to pocket it, that's his deal. Though I suppose that might be one reason sodas are usually a buck and change now. If you need change, they have to use the register.

*) My ultimate pet peeve — okay, one of them — is people who steal soda from the fountain. Once I saw an entire family walk into a McDonald's with like eight gallon jugs and those ginormous Double Gulps, the hard plastic ones with the handles, and they filled up all of them at the fountain, like the were having a party or something. And the cashier just sort of watched them, apparently powerless to say anything. I was like, seriously? Like, I wanted to smack them. With one of their Double Gulps.

I'm turning into a curmudgeon.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong