View Single Post
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-03-14, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Think about what you're saying. Sales tax, which is usually around 6-8% already has a non-compliance that is substantial, and it is a much lower tax rate than income tax. Raise it to 30%, and we'll see non-compliance shoot through the moon.
I disagree.

Quote:
You also argued that no new infrastructure is needed. Of course there would be. How much more accounting would be necessary to separate federal taxes from local sales taxes?
You're kidding, right? Ever run retail and paid out those sales taxes? It's rather simple these days, with a register system built anytime after about 1995. Taxes are computed on an on-going basis, totals are emitted on demand, by date, and tax amounts are calculated automatically. Unless you're trying to game the system, it's quite simple now. Adding another tax to the programming is straightforward in most cases.

Quote:
Doubtful. Actually, I'd argue the opposite would be more likely to occur, having to keep track of merchants (for compliance) and consumers (for rebates).
Again, your assumption about tracking consumers is simply wrong. Read the site. I don't want to have to do this all day, and I think you'll understand it better that way.

Quote:
Have you ever listened to a debate about increasing local sales tax by even 0.25%? I have.
I've been *IN* those debates... and come from a family who has run retail for decades. I fully understand both sides of the coin here, no pun intended.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is this would be an "experiment" on a mass scale with little benefit, even in the best of cases.
I wholeheartedly disagree on the assertion of 'little benefit'.

Quote:
Kick that site is just a bunch of opinions and rosy forecasting. Sorry.
I am too - I thought you were interested in this topic. I'm disappointed that you feel a what, two minute cursory glance at the site is enough to dismiss it out of hand. *shrug* Not my problem. We can agree to disagree and end this discussion.