View Single Post
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-10-17, 09:44

I've just read a very disturbing bit of social commentary and I want to enlist everyone's help in stopping the American usage of (and inevitable total destruction of) cool British sayings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19929249

For example: Chav used to be one of my favorite words, not because I reveled in the possibility of walking around American streets using it, but because it was a distinctly British and humorous way of describing familiar societal flaws we have here too.

Now apparently Americans are trying to be cool by using English slang, offering such classics as "innit" "lumpty" and "shag". I guess we can credit Austin Powers with giving Americans the go-ahead to use "shag" but still. What makes these words cool is that they're uniquely British and the accent that goes along with them. The idea of hearing a bunch of American teenagers (or worse a bunch of middle aged suburban guys) trying to use these words, makes me cringe because it will "kill the cool".

Please remember: friends don't let friends "talk British". Let the British do it; they're so much better at it than we are.

We can stick to awesome words of our own that the British don't use as effectively, such as "douche bag" "bitchin'" and many variations on teh word "fuck". We are the masters of fuck; let it be known.

...into the light of a dark black night.