Thread: 2020 Apple
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-04, 10:01

Re: the no 32GB option in the 13”, that’s been the case all along. And people know there are already a few trade-offs (processor, graphics) if you opt for the 13” over the 15”. There doesn’t have to be a step up beyond 16GB if it isn’t physically/technically possible due to the limitations of the board or whatever.

It would be nice if that could be an option some day on the 13”... but in the meantime I think there would be way many more happy with a stock 16GB than those bummed that there’s no 32GB to go to. The former doesn’t cancel out the latter. If Apple is keeping it at 8GB just so folks feel like they have something else to step up to, I would respectfully request that they knock it the hell off. There would still be BTO options for the processor and storage.

Making the 13” (at least the two higher-end models) come with 16GB is a fingersnap type of thing, if someone suddenly decided it should be. No technical hurdles or concerns to make that one small thing happen. I’m sure it’s coming too, now that the 16” has it.

These staggered, leapfrog updates within the same product category are frustrating in their own way because, in a perfect world, the 13” would’ve gotten the new keyboard and the other things the new 16” got and both MacBook Pro models would be sporting the new stuff, vs. a several months gap/wait. It’s almost as though they have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time. Makes me wonder if they just throw all their personnel and resources on one model sometimes? Who knows. Maybe this 16”, with its screen, speaker, etc. changes required “all hands on deck”, and, as we speak, they’re now all working on the 13” (possible taking it to 14”, redoing the speakers, keyboard, battery design, etc.). If a really amazing 13” is released in the coming months, then I suppose it was worth the lag/wait.