View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-14, 18:12

It wasn't a great movie, but compared to where it sprang from it couldn't help but look good. If you lay a daisy next to a turd, guess what? You're gonna see a really pretty flower!

They should be happy they managed to salvage something from that whole Triad of Overwrought Suckage (Man of Steel, Batman v Superman and Justice League).

If they want to waste more money on that, going forward, that's their call. I'd recommend they quit while they're ahead, before they totally sink everything. Focus on what works, jettison what hasn't.

I know they'll never do this, but as the only person on the planet who apparently loved Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, I've always wanted to see a Batman (or even Justice League) done in that style/setting. The Rocketeer and the first Captain America movie looked great, so I'm already a sucker for that time-setting with the 30's/40's retro touches. I'd love to see that happen someday, even with that highly-stylized Sin City vibe. Or like one of those Max Fleischer cartoons come to life...robots, ray guns, men in fedoras, Tommy guns, cool cars, with our heroes inserted and using the "high tech" of the time. But that won't appeal to modern, young audiences, so that's money they'd never risk. I'll just have to continue picturing/enjoying it in my head. That might be something more suitable for a Netflix one-off series or something, vs. going all-in on a big budget movie nobody but me would watch.

It is funny/interesting, however, how all those animated Justice League, Superman and Batman shows from the 90's (and early 2000's?) are better written and more enjoyable than anything live-action WB/DC has managed to put on screen in nearly seven years. Maybe hire those creators to head things up. I still get a kick out of watching some of those (I think Bruce Timm and Paul Dini were behind a lot of that, and definitely put a nice look/twist on it all).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-02-14 at 18:34.